[r72] Rep. Clere Supports Assistance for Low-Income Families (3/15/2012)

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Start Date: 3/15/2012
End Date: 3/15/2012

Floyd County

Rep. Clere Supports Assistance for Low-Income Families

STATEHOUSE – House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1141, co-authored by Rep. Ed Clere (R-New Albany), establishes the Mortgage Foreclosure Multistate Settlement Fund and designates money for a state home energy assistance program. Governor Daniels signed the legislation into law Wednesday.

The law establishes the Mortgage Foreclosure Multistate Settlement Fund to distribute an estimated $46.8M received by the state related to litigation concerning mortgage foreclosure activities. The funds are to be used for foreclosure relief and housing programs, including housing counseling, legal assistance, foreclosure prevention hotlines and foreclosure mediation.

“I’m pleased to see this bill become law,” said Rep. Clere. “The General Assembly worked together in bipartisan fashion to establish a fiscally responsible fund to assist Hoosiers in need.”

HEA 1141 also specifies that the same amount of money that is collected from restoring the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) sales tax is to be transferred to LIHEAP for home owner assistance. This amount is predicted to range from $3.7M to $4.4M annually.

Since the early 1980s, the federal government has annually appropriated funds to states to provide energy assistance to low-income families. Indiana’s energy assistance programs are primarily funded through the federal LIHEAP block grant. The state’s energy assistance program provides grants for winter heating assistance and summer cooling assistance.

“Every dollar matters in this economic climate, especially for low-income Hoosiers,” said Rep. Clere. “Indiana is on the road to recovery, and this legislation will help the households that are still struggling.”

For additional information regarding foreclosure and energy assistance programs contact the Indiana Housing Community Development Authority at 1-800-872-0371.