|Start Date: ||1/24/2013|| Start Time: ||12:00 AM|
|End Date: ||1/25/2013|| End Time: ||11:59 PM|
STATEHOUSE– State Rep. Eric Koch (R-Bedford), Chairman of the House Utilities & Energy Committee, is encouraging the public to weigh in on proposed changes to the area codes throughout south-central Indiana.
According to the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC), the 812 area code is projected to exhaust its supply of new numbers by the end of 2015. State regulators have proposed two methods: the "overlay" method and the "geographic split" method.
The proposed overlay method would allow for a new area code to be added into the same geographic area. Current residents would retain their area codes, but any new residents would be issued a new area code. The geographic split proposal would separate the current area code zone into two or more new area codes. One geographic area would retain the original area code while the other geographic areas would be issued new area codes.
The IURC is traveling throughout Indiana to hear from Hoosiers about the proposed options and to raise awareness about why changes are needed in order to continue serving the region.
"This decision will affect each and every one of us in the area for many years to come," said Rep. Koch. "I would encourage everyone with an interest to share their opinion with the IURC by attending one of the public hearings."
All times and locations of the forums are listed below.
- Terre Haute - Monday, March 4 at 6 p.m. EST- Terre Haute City Hall, Courtroom, 17 Harding Avenue, Terre Haute, Ind. 47807
- Bloomington - Thursday, March 7 at 6 p.m. EST- Bloomington High School South, Auditorium, 1965 S. Walnut, Bloomington, Ind. 47404
- Jeffersonville - Monday, March 11 at 6 p.m. EST-Jeffersonville High School, Auditorium, 2315 Allison Lane, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
- Evansville - Tuesday, March 19 at 6 p.m. CST- Washington Middle School, Auditorium, 1801 Washington Avenue, Evansville, Ind. 47714
- Vincennes - Wednesday, March 20 at 6 p.m. EST- Vincennes Lincoln High School, Auditorium, 1545 S. Hart St. Road, Vincennes, Ind. 47591
- Bedford - Monday, March 25 at 6 p.m. EST- Bedford North Lawrence High School, Performing Arts Center/Schafer Auditorium, 595 Stars Boulevard, Bedford, Ind. 47421
- French Lick - Monday, April 1 at 6 p.m. EST- Springs Valley Junior-Senior High School, Auditorium, 498 S. Larry Bird Boulevard, French Lick, Ind. 47432
- St. Meinrad - Tuesday, April 2 at 6 p.m. CST- St. Bede Theater, Saint Meinrad Archabbey, 200 Hill Drive, St. Meinrad, Ind. 47577
- North Vernon - Wednesday, April 10 at 6 p.m. EST- Jennings County Middle School, Auditorium, 820 West Walnut, North Vernon, Ind. 47265
- St. Leon - Thursday, May 2 at 6 p.m. EST- East Central High School, Auditorium, 1 Trojan Place, Suite A, St. Leon, Ind. 47012
For more information about area code relief and options proposed by the NANPA, please visit us online at www.in.gov/iurc/2703.htm.
Koch NR - Area codes.docx