STATEHOUSE-Speaker Brian Bosma (R-Indianapolis) appointed Rep. Greg Steuerwald (R-Avon) as Chairman of the Commission on Courts interim study committee.
|Start Date: ||7/5/2011|| All Day|
|End Date: ||7/5/2011|
"I am truly honored to be named chair of this committee," said Rep. Steuerwald. "We will be working on issues relating to court administration and hearing requests for new courts all throughout the state of Indiana."
Rep. Steuerwald was also assigned to serve on the Criminal Law and Sentencing Policy Study Committee, as well as the Indiana Public Defender Commission.
Every year after the legislative session is completed the Legislative Council meets to assign topics to study during the interim. They also establish new interim committees that examine specific issues.
Rep. Steuerwald will be studying the following on the committees he has been assigned to serve on:
The Commission on Courts is charged with studying the following:
- Review and report on all requests for new courts or changes in jurisdiction of existing courts
- Conduct research concerning requests for new courts or changes in jurisdiction of existing courts
- Conduct public hearings throughout Indiana concerning requests for new courts or changes in jurisdiction of existing courts
- Review and report on any other matters relating to court administration that the Commission determines appropriate, including court fees, court personnel, salaries of court officers and personnel, jury selection and any other issues relating to the operation of the courts.
The Criminal Code Evaluation Commission is charged with studying the following:
- Evaluate the criminal laws of Indiana
- Make recommendations to the general assembly for the modification of the criminal laws
- Study other topics assigned by the Legislative Council or as directed by the commission chair.
The Criminal Law and Sentencing Policy Study Committee is charged with studying the following:
- Study federal requirements or incentives for states to pass certain laws or establish specific programs
- Determine the long range needs of the criminal justice and corrections systems and recommend policy priorities for those systems
- Identify critical problems in the criminal justice and corrections systems
- Assess the cost effectiveness of the use of state and local funds in the criminal justice and corrections systems
- Propose plans, programs, and legislation for improving the effectiveness of the criminal justice and corrections systems.
The Indiana Public Defender Commission is charged with studying the following:
- Make recommendations concerning indigent defense services.
"Even though session has ended, there are still many issues that need to be discussed," said Rep. Steuerwald. "These committees allow us time to review issues that affect Hoosiers and will most likely be brought up during the legislative session."
Most interim committees will begin meeting in July with their work concluding toward the end of October.