STATEHOUSE (March 7, 2018) — On My Way Pre-K applications are now open for 4-year-olds in Marion County for the 2018-2019 school year, according to State Rep. Bob Behning (R-Indianapolis).
Behning said On My Way Pre-K is Indiana’s early childhood education pilot program that provides grants to 4-year-olds from low-income families to attend a high-quality pre-K program. Eligible families must have an income below 127 percent of the federal poverty level; the child must be 4 years old by Aug. 1, 2018, starting kindergarten in the 2019-2020 school year; and a parent or guardian in the household must be working, going to school or attending job training.
“Research shows children living in low-income households often come to school up to 18 months developmentally behind their peers,” said Behning, chair of the House Committee on Education. “Providing high-quality early education programs to children in need is one of the most effective ways to close the achievement gap that low-income, at-risk children often experience when they enter kindergarten. By actively engaging students at a young age, they are more prepared to enter the classroom ready to learn. ”
In 2014, Behning authored legislation establishing the On My Way Pre-K program, and last year, he authored another bill expanding the original program from five counties to 20. Since 2015, more than 5,000 Hoosier children have attended high-quality preschooling through On My Way Pre-K grants.
In Marion County, grants are also available for children who will be 3 years old by Aug. 1, 2018, through the Indy Preschool Scholarship Program.
Behning said space is limited, and families should apply early. For more information and to apply, visit www.OnMyWayPreK.org.
State Rep. Bob Behning (R-Indianapolis) represents House District 91,
which includes portions of Hendricks and Marion counties.
A high-resolution photo of Behning can be downloaded by clicking here.