Culver, Yoder create North Central Indiana Caucus
STATEHOUSE –State Representative Wes Culver (R-Goshen) and State Senator Carlin Yoder (R-Middlebury) have created an informal bipartisan caucus, which will focus on economic issues that affect North Central Indiana. The caucus will represent Elkhart, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Marshall and St. Joseph counties.
“By bringing together area leaders we can create long-term, fiscal progress while keeping local needs at the heart of the discussion,” said Rep. Culver. “We are more effective when we work together, whether we are searching for creative solutions or utilizing area resources to attract business investment.”
The caucus came together last week for their first meeting where members discussed several topics that are unique to the area including; medical device manufacturing, RV manufacturing, tourism, agriculture, the University of Notre Dame, major roadways, the Hummer plant, the Elkhart Yard and creating an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
“Our region of the state has unique economic concerns that deserve special attention,” Yoder said. “By creating the North Central caucus, local leaders can come together to develop the best solutions for our area-specific needs. I hope local businesses and families will benefit from this new partnership.”
Those invited to participate in the NCI caucus include the following members of the General Assembly:
• State Rep. Patrick Bauer (D-South Bend)
• State Rep. Dale DeVon (R-Granger)
• State Rep. Ryan Dvorak (D-South Bend)
• State Rep. Tim Harman (R-Bremen)
• State Rep. David Niezgodski (D-South Bend)
• State Rep. David Ober (R-Albion)
• State Rep. Timothy Wesco (R-Osceola)
• State Rep. David Wolkins (R-Winona Lake)
• State Rep. Dennis Zent (R-Angola)
• State Rep. Rebecca Kubacki (R-Syracuse)
• State Rep. Tim Neese (R-Elkhart)
• State Sen. James Arnold (D-LaPorte)
• State Sen. John Broden (D-South Bend)
• State Sen. Sue Glick (R-LaGrange)
• State Sen. Randy Head (R-Logansport)
• State Sen. Ryan Mishler (R-Bremen)
• State Sen. Joe Zakas (R-Granger)
During the legislative session the caucus intends to convene once a month and will meet periodically throughout the interim. The next meeting will be held with area business leaders in July.
State Rep. Wes Culver serves as Chairman of the Statutory Committee on Interstate and International Cooperation. He also serves as a member of the Commerce, Small Business and Economic Development Committee and the Children and Human Affairs Committee. Rep. Culver represents a portion of Elkhart County.