The deadline to apply for the 2018 House Republican Internship Program has now passed.
The Indiana House of Representatives Republican Internship Program offers paid, spring semester internships at the Indiana Statehouse in downtown Indianapolis. This internship is a unique opportunity to gain practical knowledge of state government through active participation in the legislative process.
Working closely with legislators, interns develop professional skills while strengthening their political knowledge. The experiences gained while interning with the House Republican Caucus will benefit students’ academic growth. During the legislative session, House Republican interns are a part of a governing body that produces laws and shapes public policy for Indiana's 6 million residents.
The House Republican Caucus offers internship opportunities in a variety of departments:
- Work directly with an assigned group of state representatives.
- Research and respond to legislative questions.
- Track bills through the legislative process.
- Aid in committee coverage and preparing reports.
- Communicate directly with constituents via mail, phone, and email.
- Work directly with an assigned press secretary and group of state representatives.
- Write press releases, guest columns and e-newsletters.
- Monitor news coverage and track social media.
- Help setup press conferences and media availabilities.
- Take photos during events and coordinate media interviews.
- Opportunities available to focus on social media, graphic design and audio/video production.
- Fiscal Policy
- Create and maintain Ways & Means Committee bill tracking database.
- Prepare summaries of Ways & Means Committee action.
- Monitor tax- and finance-related bills assigned to committees other than the Ways & Means Committee.
- Assist the Ways & Means Fiscal Staff with the interpretation and analysis of committee and second reading floor amendments.
- Research, track and analyze amendments and bills.
- Prepare committee reports for legislators.
- Search for existing language in the Indiana Code.
- Assist staff and legislators with legislative and fiscal inquiries.
- Public Speaking.
- Work alongside the Information Technology Advisor.
- Assist with the livestreaming of House committee and session meetings.
- Collect data from the state representatives’ legislative surveys..
- Provide website support and maintenance for the caucus.
Undergraduate sophomores, juniors, and seniors; recent college graduates; graduate and law school students are eligible to apply for internships. All majors are welcome to apply – no previous political or government experience is required. Top applicants will demonstrate strong writing and interpersonal skills, project a positive attitude and be willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Interns are paired with a member of the House Republican Staff to work directly with an assigned group of state representatives.
- This is a PAID internship. Interns earn a $750 bi-weekly compensation.
- Interns may be eligible for academic credit through their college or university.
- Scholarship opportunities are also available.
- Numerous networking opportunities with state legislators, state agencies, and private sector organizations.
- Participation in a weekly speaker series featuring Indiana political leaders.
- Free parking in downtown Indianapolis across from the Statehouse is provided.
Applications for the 2018 legislative session are now being accepted. Please watch the videos above for testimony from former interns and current staffers to learn how the House Republican Internship Program can benefit you!
‘Like’ the Indiana House Republican Internship Program for the latest updates from the Statehouse.
If you have any questions please contact:
Tyler Murrell, Legislative Intern Director and Senior Legislative Assistant
Indiana House of Representatives
200 W. Washington St., Room 401-1
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
- OR -
Victoria Klimczak, Communications Intern Director and Press Secretary
Indiana House of Representatives
200 W. Washington St., Room 401-up L
Indianapolis, IN 46204